Marianne's Reviews > Tweak: Growing Up On Methamphetamines

Tweak by Nic Sheff

F_50x66
Apr 25, 08

Read in April, 2008

I tried reading this book after reading Beautiful Boy and I couldn't get through it. This guy's writing was published in Newsweek? Once you get beyond the extremely graphic quality of it, I thought it was terrible. He touts himself as an accomplished writer for his age, yet he uses "amazing" to describe things at least 3 times in the first 50 pages. Come on.

However, it was interesting to read the opposite side of this story after reading Beautiful Boy. Nick is more honest than his father about the root of his problems, but I found it too emotionally heavy and the flashbacks too frenetic. Also, the pseudonym name dropping of stars or famous people that he is/was linked to by 1 or 2 degress becomes annoying.

I'm sure I'm in the minority in my opinion of this book, but I think this book sells itself more on shock value than a well-crafted story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tweak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer I've just recently started reading the book, so far I like it but I agree with you on the writing style. He continuously hails himself as a fantastic writer and I just don't see it. It's more straight-up dialogue than a creative style.

Thanks for the interesting review.

Asaa The reason the novel is written like that is because he wanted it to seem like how he talks..... You may not like books with this style of writing, but thats just the way he wrote this one. Hell, he got into Harvard, of course he could have written a fantastically well written novel

Asaa Also, "Also, the pseudonym name dropping of stars or famous people that he is/was linked to by 1 or 2 degress becomes annoying.".... He also explains many times how he is too caught up in knowing, and being associated with, "famous" people. That is one of the issues that he deals with, and leaves behind, at his final rehab center in Arizona, where he really opens up and really shares his problems. Also, the frenetic flashbacks, and emotional heaviness of this novel are essential to making it stand out, as an explicit, non censored story on his journey to sobriety.

Kylee Bryant -_-

Katarina He didnt write this book to impress people. He wrote it to tell people his point of view, his story . What he has been through with dealing with his drug addiction.
If I could, I would "thumbs down" your comment "review" about the book

Cole U Maybe you shouldn't have started reading it. I liked it.

Lisa Nally I think the tragedy of his story is he could be a good writer, but his addiction has messed up his brain. The ONLY reason he got a book deal is because of who his parents are, but I really do feel he has a story to tell. It's just incoherent, like most addicts and their lives are.

Journi Try reading, "We All Fall Down" by: Nicholas Sheff. In my opinion, it's better than "Tweak."

Journi *Nic Sheff

Journi And it probably wasn't the greatest idea to read his father's book first...just saying.