Nenia Campbell's Reviews > The Summoning

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: publisher-harpercollins-publishers
Read from December 16 to 24, 2012

You can read reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian!

Unlike a lot of my fellow bloggers, I'm not a huge fan of YA. A lot of the time, I feel like potentially awesome plots are dumbed down or censored so as not to offend the kiddies' delicate sensibilities--conveniently overlooking the fact that the kiddies are, in all likelihood, engaging in far more dubious activities in their own free time. Adolescence is gritty.

And even if it isn't, it, like, totally is. Because drama.

I'd heard nothing but amazing things about the Darkest Powers series, and it was popping up on all these recommendation lists on GoodReads. When I saw the entire trilogy for sale at the thrift store for $3, how could I say no? I bit the bullet.

And it was the tastiest, most addicting bullet that I have ever bitten.

Where to begin?

How about with a big fat SQUEE!

For starters, Armstrong has taken a seriously overused and abused genre and made it fresh and original. Realistic, even. When Chloe is taken to a group home after attacking a teacher in her art school, I nodded. Yes, that seemed plausible. The beginning is a little cliche, and "boo hoo little rich girl," but the ghosts kept it from being too trite. And once I got a sense of Chloe's "voice," she really stood out from the passive boy-crazy thrill-seeking protags that are oh-so-vogue in today's YA.

I even--dare I say it?--liked Chloe. And Simon. And Derek. And Rae. And yes, even Tori.

Ms. Armstrong, please accept this humble offering of cake. You deserve every delicious pixelated bite.

I haven't been so excited about a YA series since Vampire Academy.

Seriously. Readers looking for a strong, capable heroine (and she's only fifteen!) who walks the walk and talks the talk, and befriends guys before boyfriending them should check this crackpie out.

It's...it's...

a w e s o m e.

Thank God I've got The Awakening ready and rearing to go, or that cliffhanger might have made me cry.

4.5 to 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

12/23/2012 page 124
12/24/2012 page 274
70.0% "LOLLL. So much for going to bed early tonight. :D"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian These are really good reads, aren't they? No stereotypical Hot Boys in sight. So refreshing.

Francesca I loved this series! The second series Armstrong does around this (Darkness Rising) I couldn't get into. it wasn't nearly as good as this one and I was pretty disappointed. If you decide to read that trilogy you'll have to let me know what you think. You definitely won't be disappointed by this one though :)

Nenia Campbell @Lynsey: Yes! It was really, really good. Plus, the protagonist was just so likable.

@Francesca: Ooh. Well, I will definitely keep that in mind. I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to top this series. ;)

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) OOOOO I got these awhile back at the library book store! gonna have to move them up I'm hitting Vampire Academy right now, so far I really like it. :-)

Nenia Campbell I think that this might actually be better than VA.

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) Oooooo must read next! I'm girl crushing on Rosé big time in VA lol