Sharne' Cherry's Reviews > The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

Oct 16, 11

Read from September 15 to 25, 2011

1. Fantasy Junior Book
2.This book is about a mouse and his love for a princess. His personality changes throughout the story, which is fun to read. The book is great for young adolescent readers (4th-5th grade) in that it's a funny surprising story that keeps you wanting to read more.
3.a. Character Development
b. Character Development in this novel takes a huge role. The author develops the characters in the story very well. The mouse is used to connect the stories of the other characters. I really enjoyed finding out how each character fit into the others stories.
c. An example of character development in the story would be with the character mouse. The mouse starts off in the story as a clueless mouse who doesn't behave as such. By the end of the story he develops into a courageous mouse who tries to save his love, the princess.
4.This book can be used in the curriculum to write a reverse ending. They could develop the character in a different way changing the ending of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Despereaux.

09/27/2011 page 200

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Toombs My opinion on the greatest strength of “The Tale of Despereaux,” was related to the narration throughout the book. The way the narrator talked to and referred to the “reader” was the reason why I chose the narration of the book. It kept me interested and also provided interesting moments or information throughout each chapter. Sharne’ thought that the character development was the greatest strength for this title. As we differ, I can still understand and respect her choice because the author did a wonderful job with the character development. The characters in this story really contributed a lot of information and really “made” the story. Throughout this book, the characters were showed in individual characters and brought together to be one story. This was another very interesting concept the author provided the readers with. Although, my opinion of the narration of this book being the strongest, I understand Sharne’s view in which the character development does pay a huge role in this book.