Jonathan's Reviews > The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

I do not believe in removing a work of passion or care from existence, no matter how sloppy it may be. For this reason I have allowed this review to continue to exist, as an example of one of my first reviewing efforts when I joined this site. However, a far superior (to me) review now exists and you can find it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I believe that The Lord of the Rings is one of the most brilliant stories created by a man who truly understood language, myth and legend. Many people will say that they love The Lord of the Rings because of the epic nature of the narrative. Others enjoy the minute details. I personally love this novel because it evokes childhood memories; more than that it still remains for me one of a few powerful fantasy novels untainted by human gratuity.

I personally cannot stand the way in which writers sully their imaginative works with gratuitous sexuality or violence (I don't want to read the things they're lusting over thank you!). Fortunately The Lord of the Rings needs neither to sell its story. It relies solely upon the power of words, imagination and a world which feels not dissimilar to our own. After all this was intended as a myth of England's history. The Lord of the Rings deserves its title, for it truly is the lord of literature to me.

I would like to add here that it seems fascinating to me that why The Lord of the Rings is judged so harshly by modern readers now is by the standards of fantasy. But Tolkien himself was not aiming to write a fantasy as we know it. Fantasy as a genre is full today of cloyed and clotting messes and that is not what Tolkien set out to write. He set out to write an imaginary history of another world and that is what he did. So dislike the pace, the story, the tone, the idea of it all. That is a matter of personal taste. But don't ever tell me that The Lord of the Rings is unimportant, silly or a poor tale.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.

Quotes Jonathan Liked

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The real war does not resemble the legendary war in its process or its conclusion. If it had inspired or directed the development of the legend, then certainly the Ring would have been seized and used against Sauron; he would not have been annihilated but enslaved, and Barad-Dûr would not have been destroyed but occupied. Saruman, failing to get possession of the Ring, would in the confusion and treacheries of the time have found in Mordor the missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore, and before long he would have made a Great Ring of his own with which to challenge the self-styled Ruler of Middle-earth. In that conflict both sides would have held hobbits in hatred and contempt: they would not long have survived even as slaves.”