Jonathan's Reviews > The Painted Man

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-challenge, fantasy
Read from January 17 to 22, 2012

I really liked this book but for several reasons I couldn't like it enough to 'go the whole hog' and empower it with divinity. By which I mean to tattoo a five star rating onto this review and ward off all book demons.

I loved the pacing of this book. I loved the very idea of this book. I loved the tone of this book. I loved the shape of this book. I really appreciated the way Peter V. Brett was able to take ideas used before and turn them into something new somehow.

However I had a personal problem with the character of Leesha in the book. (view spoiler)

I also had a slight problem with the way the author cut in and out of different times. One instant I was reading Arlen leave a town the next it was three years later and he was in the dessert. Which proved slightly distracting in the overall frame of grasping what was going on.

But apart from personally being annoyed and perturbed by such actions I really enjoyed this book. It was fast it was fun and it was on the whole well written. It was nothing at the level of some authors but well above the level of others. And I am very glad that Peter V. Brett wrote this book because it made my birthday that much greater finally finishing this work. I look forward anxiously to the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Painted Man.

01/19/2012 page 75