Marlene's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

6193466
Apr 09, 12

Read from September 18 to October 09, 2011

I've always been a friend of fairytales. Naturally I was intrigued by this book and it's just magical how all those objects fom fairytales fit into real life. With all the advantages and problems they bring.

The story itself was magical too. People transformed into puppets, giant monster-birds following the characters around and a mysterious thief busy with stealing stuff from the grimm-collection.
You could say the main characters are really busy too, all the while not knowing who they can really trust. Add to that a sassy, foulmouthed Snow White Mirror embarrassing and insulting the characters and you get the idea.

But with all those good things about it, it's not the kind of book you can really get caught up in. The story kind of lacks the atmosphere Cornelia Funke sucessfully captured in "Reckless" and the heroes of the story are nice but not what I'd call real-life-persons. Sometimes they could have used a little bit more... color, I could say. They didn't make that much of an impression on me and didn't stay with me after I had finished the book.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend The Grimm Legacy to all fairytale-lovers. I'm sure you'll find your favorite "märchen" in there too, just like I did.
Also if you want to know the names of german potatoe dishes you're right here, not to mention flying shoes, golden keys, invisible chairs and magical freckles.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.