MsRomanticReads's Reviews > Return to Me

Return to Me by Christy Reece

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: angst, contemporary-romance, suspense, undercover-ops
Read in September, 2011

I apologize if this review doesn't come across the way I'd want it to, but I'm half asleep from staying up all night to finish this story. With that said, on with the review.

Ms Reece definitely doesn't suffer from firstbookinaseriesitis. Once again, she has me hooked with a story even more suspenseful than the first. She's also a master of the sick and twisted as well as being able to squeeze some tears out of me, yet again. The prologue was enough to let the dread settle in as to where this story was going. We also find out (finally) why Noah seemed to be such a heartless SOB.

Noah seeks out Samara to ask for her help in bringing down internet predators. Fighting a shameful memory she is reluctant to be anywhere near him long enough to hear him out. His methods of persuasion are rather cavemannish, but Samara can't deny her nature to help children in trouble. Working together also means that the sparks fly.

The romance was steamy and sweet in some instances, but I think I was more riveted by the plight of the kidnapped girls and hoping the villains would get their comeuppance or meet their maker. Noah was an incredible hero. His past comes to light, and it was painful to read about, but it explains so much about why he does what he does and the man he has become. I wasn't surprised that it took him a very long time to acknowledge his feelings for Samara, and my heart broke every time he pushed her away. The suspense and heart fail was really good.

Samara may have started out as a sheltered and meek woman (and I say that with reserve), but her experience with the "mission gone south" pulled her blinders off very quickly, and she realized there was a lot more she could and should do with her life. Somewhere in there she even managed to find the strength to rescue Noah. I loved her stubborn streak and her vulnerability. Her character arc developed gradually; it was believable from beginning to end.

The wedding scene was the damn sweetest thing! It was pretty funny :)

I'm about to start the third book Run to Me and if the trend continues, this series is quickly becoming a top favorite of mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra oh dear...another to add to my ever-growing list??? 5 stars? *ded*

MsRomanticReads 4.5-ish, lol. It may be another one for your list, but not for a while. After LotU comes Immortals After Dark *pretty please with a demon on top* :)

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra yeah, I know...but every so often, I need to branch out of a series...that's what I'm reading now.

MsRomanticReads Then by all means, put this series on your list if you don't mind the grittiness of the subject and some pretty tough females :) I'm enjoying it immensely, so far.