Christi Snow's Reviews > Scent of Darkness

Scent of Darkness by Christina Dodd

Sep 16, 11

Read from September 14 to 15, 2011

Full review reposted from Smitten with Reading....
My Review:
This is a tough book for me to review and rate, because generally, my ratings are based purely on how much I enjoyed the experience of reading the book.
This is a book that I enjoyed reading. I read it pretty much in one sitting and did not want to put it down, but there were certain aspects of the story that bothered me and simply did not sit right with me.

But instead of focusing on the negative first, let's talk about what I did like about this book.

*I like the demon/shapeshifter aspect of this book. I like that the shapeshifters are the way that they are because of a pact made with the devil 1000 years ago. I thought that this was a really creative twist on a paranormal story. That pact has come at the price of love, and I liked that the Wilder's have cheated this curse of the pact.

*I liked the scene where Ann realized that Jasha was a shapeshifter and what a shock that was to her, although I had issues with the scene immediately following that (I talk about that below.)

*I liked that Christina showed Jasha relating with the local wolf-pack, who are really wolves. They know that he is different, but they still accept and protect him. It was interesting to see the interactions between him and Leader...two alphas in their own right.

*I liked that Jasha owns a winery and how their vine-growing abilities come from their mother's gypsy blood and her gift with plants.

*I liked the relationship between the siblings and want to know more about what happened with Adrik. The three siblings that are left, though, have a good relationship and I always like reading stories with good sibling relationships.

The things that bothered me about the book were issues with the main characters:

*Jasha is too alpha. He basically forces Ann several times in the book and ultimately, she does get pleasure from that, but it was always prefaced by pain. This was just too close to rape for my liking and Jasha admits and apologizes for "forcing" her several times. It just seemed wrong somehow in the way that it was written someway...

*Jasha and Ann have worked together for 3+ years. 6 months ago, she decided that she was going to change so that she could be the type to attract him. He admits that he never really saw her as anything more than his really efficient assistant. I have a hard time accepting soulmates when it requires her to change to get his attention.

Like I said, I enjoyed the book. There were just those little things that niggled and didn't sit well as I was reading it, and for me, those little things are big when it comes to the ability for a relationship to last forever...even in a romance novel.

I am still debating about whether I will read the other three books in the series. I am curious about where the story goes from here because there were a lot of unanswered questions left after this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber Yep...yep...and yep! Your review pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Jasha is pretty much my least favorite "hero" I've read to date but I still enjoyed the story. Like you said, he was *TOO* Alpha male and I didn't like his heavy-handedness either.