Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Sleepless

Sleepless by Cyn Balog
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepless.

message 1: by Infinite Playlist (last edited Sep 15, 2011 04:29AM) (new)

Infinite Playlist SERIOUSLY? Wow, what a blog post. I'm shocked... someome should tell her that bad reviews actually are a way of publicity, too and they will not stop people from buying the book -.-

(ps. you have a "do-not-read" shelf, that's awesome)

message 2: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Thank you, IP! I just made it but I'll be adding other books here from authors behaving badly.

I kind of want to rail against her and write a snarky, angry post over why she's wrong - but I'm loathe to give her more publicity than she's already begging for.

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) wow, but it is true. Authors tend to not like goodreads.

Infinite Playlist I'd love to read that post, Kat, love your snarky remarks :) but you're also right not to pay too much attention to her... it's a shame really, I was looking forward to reading Sleepless by her one day... I still can't believe how a grown up person can have such a weird attitude... if you can't take the critic as a writer, don't read it! You shouldn't go around telling people not to rate books, that's just so silly.

Infinite Playlist @Kate: I understand that but if they don't like it they should stay away from it (besides, I find there are tons of authors using GR as a promotional tool or to keep in contact with fans). To me GoodReads is a place for people who read books and want to discuss them, not for people who write books.

message 6: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Kate - I understand not being able to take the criticism. But I dislike her attitude and there's so many things wrong with her post.

message 7: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Side note: Banned Books Week is coming up and I recently visited the banned book exhibition at my city library. YA is one of the most targeted genres of literature by banners. I wonder how many of the YA authors who write the "Be Nice" stuff and support it fight against censorship. The "Be nice" stuff reeks of pro-censorship, not to mention emotional blackmail. It's a similar attitude used by banners.

message 8: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I think my issue is their treatment of critics - even vicious ones, as scum. I take my stance alongside Oscar Wilde. Literary Criticism is not only valid literature but it's necessary!

message 9: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 15, 2011 05:37AM) (new)

Tatiana This post is so ridiculous, it's not even funny. Now no one can even give any ratings to books except 5 stars to spare authors' feelings. That's rich!

message 10: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Yeah - it's like they're getting more and more precious and somehow still thinking this is in anyway appropriate.

message 11: by Kate (Nomalicious Reads) (last edited Sep 15, 2011 05:10AM) (new)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) yeah, I couldn't read everything she wrote because her tone just disgusted me.
I get what she means, but I think its wrong for her, an author to say such things, when we are basically her income.

message 12: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina This author has issues. Huge issues.

Authors have to pay the bills, but so do I.
I allow myself a monthly budget to spend on books, and I'm grateful to people who prevent me of wasting that money on bad purchases.

On a side note: hey, do you think I'm brainless!?
I pay attention to advices given from people I've come to trust or to motivated reviews. I don't mindlessy do whatever people say.

message 13: by Cor (new) - rated it 1 star

Cor She sounds like a kid that is angry at the fact that not everybody loves her. I mean I write reviews for other readers and not for the ego of the author. If she can´t take some critic she should not publish her books.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Yanno, if we give five stars to everything, then five stars become meaningless. Heck, if we give 4 or 5 to everything, it becomes meaningless--look at Harriet Klausner, she has no credibility.

message 15: by Alicia (last edited Sep 15, 2011 05:41AM) (new)

Alicia Actually, the negative reviews are one of the reasons I like Goodreads. I'm not saying I'm a negative person. But on Amazon, for example: I sometimes copy and paste my Goodreads reviews on Amazon. Instead of just a "like" button, as Goodreads has, Amazon has two options. Readers can indicate whether or not they found the review "helpful." Without fail, my negative reviews on Amazon are found to be unhelpful. This can't be a coincidence. From this, I must conclude that the reviewers and/or review-readers on Amazon prefer sweet, sticky niceness over honesty.

I come to Goodreads for the honest truth . . . and the entertainment that comes with it.

message 16: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Kelly - I really don't think they think beyond their own egos.

I understand them not wanting to give blurbs to people who've torn their books to pieces. I'm not even debating that. But why make a big song and dance about it? Why try to intimidate people into toeing the line? It's all so frustrating.

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Exactly, Kat. All they have to do is just...not give blurbs to those people.

I often get downvotes on my negative Amazon reviews too. Ugh, when I'm buying a book, I *want* to read negative reviews of it. Sometimes they warn me off the book, sure. But sometimes they cushion its landing a little by making my expectations more reasonable, and sometimes what one reviewer hates is exactly what I *want*.

But if all the reviews are positive--especially if they all have the same wording--I wonder if it's the author's friends. Unless it's an author I already trust to write a good book.

message 18: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I just thought we were past all this shit. We'd managed to go a reasonable time without a blow up and then someone comes and says something stupid... again.

message 19: by AH (new)

AH When I see someone give only 5 star reviews, I tend to ignore that person's ratings. It is impossible to read only 5 star books. There's always a mediocre book in the to-read pile. Why bother rating books if all you are going to do is 5 star them?

message 20: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 15, 2011 05:59AM) (new)

Tatiana Kat wrote: "I just thought we were past all this shit. We'd managed to go a reasonable time without a blow up and then someone comes and says something stupid... again."

Have you noticed that authors who make this sort of statements are the ones who have nothing to show in terms of acclaim or quality of writing. I've seen this "GR is bad" issue brought up so many times, but almost always by self-published, unknown or not very successful (yet) authors, those who angst over every rating/review. Reading their opinions only encourages me to not give them any chances. I still can't forget this post http://veschwab.wordpress.com/2011/08...

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman Mean old LJ won't let me see it! Anyone else have this difficulty?

message 22: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy That link isn't working, Tatiana.

message 23: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Oops, just corrected

message 24: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Um, is it just me or did the author change/remove that post?

message 25: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Do you think these authors make such posts only to get some publicity for themselves though? Sometimes I think so, cause we, readers, are so quick to jump on this topic and bring their obscure names to light.

message 26: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Tatiana, yes! That one was terrible! I got involved on the discussion on GR here about it and they ended up dropping the issue as they clearly weren't getting the kind of support they were hoping for.

message 27: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Kat wrote: "Um, is it just me or did the author change/remove that post?"

Yep, I think it's gone.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman Kat wrote: "Um, is it just me or did the author change/remove that post?"

That must be what's going on. LJ tells me I'm not authorized to see it.

message 29: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I agree, Tatiana. Thus why I didn't write a snarky post for this book's review. But, *sigh* I'm still putty in their hands - angered and outraged so easily. I can't help it. I have a flammable personality. Maybe I should just take my own advice and Shut The Fuck Up! :P

message 30: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana You can still see what she wrote on her GR page

message 31: by Cory (last edited Sep 15, 2011 06:16AM) (new) - added it

Cory I am so tempted to rate this one star, just to piss her off. When you tell me not to do something, I just have to do it. And I wonder what authors she talks to that feel as if they only deserve 5 stars.

message 32: by Rachel (last edited Sep 15, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

Rachel Hartman Thanks, Tatiana!

Did either of you see Melina Marchetta's latest blog post, btw? Here: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

That was the first thing I saw this morning, and I thought to myself, "Huh. I wonder why she's telling us this?" It's in the air, apparently. (And it's kind of sobering, right? Because I think of Marchetta as fearless and independent, based solely on her prose, and if they've made HER anxious about this, should I be more worried?)

Infinite Playlist Deleting that post from her LJ was the first smart move she did today ;)

message 34: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana It is very sobering and sad a little, Rachel. But at least she doesn't try to scare anyone into doing what she does.

message 35: by Cory (new) - added it

Cory Infinite Playlist wrote: "Deleting that post from her LJ was the first smart move she did today ;)"

It is. I wonder if we're all the trolls she's referring to.

message 36: by Lucy (last edited Sep 15, 2011 06:21AM) (new) - added it

Lucy Rereading Cyn Balog's post makes me wonder about the quality of her writing in general. It's not structured like someone who thought through what she was saying. It might have been appropriate to say to a friend over coffee, but it's not advice to toss out to the internet. The 'Or else.' It's awful advice and it's stated like one of the ten commandments to a career in writing. Some people need a 24 hour delay between finishing a post and actually putting it up.

Infinite Playlist Cory wrote: "Infinite Playlist wrote: "Deleting that post from her LJ was the first smart move she did today ;)"

It is. I wonder if we're all the trolls she's referring to."

Of course we are, Cory! :D

message 38: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy It is. I wonder if we're all the trolls she's referring to.

Every time I read one of these author complaints where they mention mean, snarky reviews (WITH PICTURES!), I always wonder if they're referring to me.

But then I try to be less self-involved and remind myself that the world doesn't revolve around me.

Still, we do tend to be more on the trouble-maker side of GoodReads. And we do use a lot of pictures...

message 39: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 15, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Tatiana I have always wondered if authors hate professional reviewers (Kirkus, SLJ, Booklist, etc.) as much as they seem to hate us, Goodreaders?

message 40: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy “You have now killed my book in the United States, nothing short of that...I will hate you till the day I die and wish you nothing but ill will in every career move you make. I will be watching with interest and schadenfreude." -Alain de Botton to New York Time's Critic, Caleb Crain

I'd say... yes!

message 41: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana LOL. I remember this one. And it was some boring non-fiction thing, right?

message 42: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I honestly wouldn't know. All I know is that Published Critics and authors have a far more tenuous relationship than we do!

message 43: by Cor (new) - rated it 1 star

Cor Aw....
from [info]cyn2write
Is someone jealous that they can't get themselves published? Boo Hoo. You sound like the jaded, sad, unpublished troll I referenced. Truth hurts, doesn't it?? Enjoy your unpublished life... I am sure your status isn't going to change!

I wonder how she ever got published and how her books are... she sounds like a little kid.

message 44: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Cor wrote: "Aw....

Where is this from?

message 45: by Cor (new) - rated it 1 star

Cor It is her answer of my comment on her LJ post.

message 46: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Wow - really? The one she took down?

Megan (Book Brats) Cor wrote: "Aw....
from [info]cyn2write

Randomly jumping in here, but does this insinuate that unpublished authors purposefully leave bad reviews of published authors because they're jealous? Ehm...

message 48: by Cor (new) - rated it 1 star

Cor Yeah the one she took down...
And my review was not that bad, only the ending was a little hard.

message 49: by Pepper (new) - added it

Pepper Oh, this made me hate her and I don't even know her.

message 50: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Palice wrote: "Oh, this made me hate her and I don't even know her."

Ditto. Ick. My new shelves for her book: do-you-really-think-I'm-reading-this, not-in-a-gazillon-years, and a new addition especially for her, author-needs-steaming-mug-of-stfu.

« previous 1