Gemma collins's Reviews > Giving Up the Ghost: A Memoir

Giving Up the Ghost by Hilary Mantel

F 50x66
Sep 15, 2011

I haven't quite finished reading this as I picked it up at a friends house and read it continuously all day, while waiting for dinner, sitting on the bus, lying in a London Park. I had to return home before I finished but I was absolutely engrossed. Hilary Mantel has such a distinct and unique style, I have never read anyone like her. It is an interesting autobiography not just for the life described, the intimate personal lives led by real, working class people in Manchester in the 1950's but also because of Mantels strange quirks and odd observations.
She is a very brave writer I think and she talks of this, of not wanting to hide behind cliches or metaphors and yet at the same time not being ashamed of them when they come to her as right. There is a lot of pain behind the writing, as if some of it has really been wrenched from her memory onto the page and there is something so direct about her tone its a real pleasure to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giving Up the Ghost.

06/23/2016 marked as: read