Emily's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Apr 24, 14

Read from January 21 to 25, 2012

Oh, gosh... I wanted to like it, I really did.

This book is just not my cup of tea.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

01/21/2012 "The 2nd person present tense is a little off-putting for some reason. I think it's because I read so many books written in 1st person present tense. Other than that small niggle... cute story so far!" 2 comments
01/21/2012 page 60
25.0% ""I say quietly." "He says quietly." And repeat. New adjective, please!"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Aly (Fantasy4eva) lol. Yeah, the romance was kinda lame. It served its purpose in being a cute book, but that's about it :P

Emily couldn't agree more Aly!

message 20: by Lora (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lora I have to say I agree that the third person narrative put me off as well; as did her repetitive use of the adverb "quietly". Got on my nerves a bit.

Hope you enjoy your next book more, Emily:)

Emily Yeah those things really ruined the reading experience for me. I struggled to finish it, as my mind was always drifting elsewhere. And thanks Lora. I hope so, too :)

Nomes I am still a bit baffled by so much hype from early reviewers. My own review was the first negative one I read (if you can count reading your own review, LOL). It's heartening to find a bunch of other readers feeling the same way :)

message 17: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess The story was cute, and that's about the only thing I liked about it.
The writing was annoying as. 3rd person present with occasional switches to past tense? Ick, no thanks!

Emily I agree, Jess. I have to admit, sometimes Oliver made me smile. But Hadley didn't have much of a personality in my opinion. I'll read something else by Jennifer E. Smith, as long as it's not in 3rd person present!

@Nomes This has such a high average rating! I don't get it either. I think maybe I would've liked the book a lot if I read it when I was 13 or 14. But there's just so many better books out there.

message 15: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity I kinda want it just cos it's on my TBR but with all the underwhelming reviews...I dunno :(

Emily There's lots of swoon, Trin. That's the best thing going for this book.

If you decide you wanna read it just let me know and I'll pop it in the post :)

message 13: by Trinity (last edited Jan 26, 2012 04:47AM) (new) - added it

Trinity Lots hey? *ponders*

message 12: by Emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emi me too, i wanted to like it so much, but i just... didn't. :(

Skittles (Skyla) I actually really want to read this. I am expecting it to be cheesy and silly but I still want to read it.

Emily I hope you enjoy it more than I did, Skyla! It's pretty cute but just not my thing.

message 9: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I was thinking of getting it after John Green recommended it. Now tossing up between this and unwind so yeah if you really want to give it away to someone in Australia I'm your girl ;)

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Simmerock I want! I'm not in Australia though! :(

Shekinah Oh! I'm late. :( 16th Comment, I didn't make it to the top so I guess I have no chance of getting the book & I'm not in Aus. Hahaha!

Tacye H I am not in Aus but in Hong Kong and I really really want to read this. Is it possible for you to give it away to me?

Skittles (Skyla) She was giving this away over a year ago.

message 4: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity I've ended up with Em's copy haha happy to swap it :)

Tacye H Trinity: really? what do you think of that book?

Holly I agree completely