Jennifer's Reviews > Zombie Iceland

Zombie Iceland by Nanna Árnadóttir

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic, young-adult, gems, iceland
Read in October, 2011

I loved this book for many reasons. First, true confession, because I recently visited Iceland (where I bought the book at Mál og Menning in Reykjavik) and months after returning I am still enamored with the country. But, second, because the author does a great job developing her characters.

This is a story of three siblings trying to survive in Reykjavik immediately after a zombie outbreak and the four strangers they adopt from an outing to get medical supplies. All the characters have strong personalities—some pretty outrageous, but believable. The interaction between characters is humorous, to say the least. Barbara, the oldest sibling, has been preparing for the zombie apocalypse for years—as has the author apparently. Barbara's father trained her in firearms and other survival skills; their basement is stocked with food and other necessities. Inherent with any zombie tale, the action is nonstop.

In addition to this being a lively, fun story, I appreciated how the author embedded elements of social media, including a playlist (one song for each chapter linkable by a QR code) and one chapter composed entirely of people's Facebook updates about the outbreak. The inclusion of a traditional recipe and many footnotes explaining Icelandic history, customs, and contemporary society will probably appeal only to foreigners—but being an enamored traveler, I enjoyed them.

My main dislike was with the design. At times there is a lack of spacing between paragraphs. And the frequency of typos is high. Nonetheless, these shortcomings didn't distract from the story (and I'm an editor), which is strong in action and character.

An interesting story about the author and her love of zombies: http://grapevine.is/Home/ReadArticle/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Iceland.