Matt's Reviews > Faceless Killers

Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell

Oct 14, 11

Read from October 07 to 14, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I've always liked mysteries but I never really read any book series in the mystery genre. Technically the Dresden Files are mystery, but I like believing they are more "modern fantasy" or something, mainly because Jim Butcher writes another series that is fantasy-grounded (which I have yet to read).

I read the first two Millennium books (have yet to read the third) and I loved those. It was those books that served as my stepping stone into the mystery genre, and the first book I picked up was Faceless Killers.

How did it do for me?

I will definitely be picking up the next book! Kurt Wallander has become one of my favorite detectives. He's the kind of detective I hope works for me if something bad ever happens to my family. The guy gives so much to solve his cases and take down the criminals! He doesn't do drugs, participate in random sex, steal from the payroll or anything else deviant.

There's a scene where he drinks and drives only to get caught by his fellow officers. That scene showed to me the professionalism he exudes on these men because they could have turned him in. He could have been an a-hole of a leader, but these men trust in him and believe in him. So they see he gets home and rests. A true kinship with his fellow workers.

How many of you can say you honestly have that with your fellow workers?

Plus, it showed a humanity to Wallander. Yeah, liquor and mystery stories go together like water and swimming pools, but it's a more believable scenario then say, Wallander shooting up or smoking a bowl. The guy's suffering from overworking because he is dedicated to his ****ing job! On top of that, his wife has left him and apparently is happy with another guy. I'll still never understand that scenario: a woman leaving a man who is good at what he does.

And he hit her...that was a freaky revelation. But it was an honest revelation. He's a man, he makes mistakes and I'm glad that Mankell wrote him as such. I don't even think Wallander is happy once he solves the crime. He just finally gets the break and vacation he so deserves.

Where's his idiotic wife then? Where is she when he finally solves a case that almost caused a war between the residents and refugees of Sweden? Patience is indeed a virtue she should have worked on. I didn't require much of it when reading this story. If Mankell had written a volume that was well over 500 pages long in this style, it would have gotten quite old fast. You can only read so fast before you get tired out and think "Does this book ever slow down to actually look at the psychology of the characters?"

However, he managed to sum up the mystery in a reasonable page length with a style that was fast-pace but subtle. You didn't need to read every single detail, but the details that were there could tell you a lot, if you focused.

I also loved the side story with the prosecutor. It wasn't a prominent element in the overall narrative but it helped add to Wallander's constantly dreary days. I'm interested to see if anything develops between these two characters.

I recommend this to anyone who likes mysteries and realistic stories. It's a quick read, so those who are thinking about trying it, give it a shot! You won't spend that much time on it. It is not for everyone, but it is sure as **** for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faceless Killers.

10/07/2011 page 93
10/14/2011 page 204
73.0% "Awesome chase scene at the end!"
show 3 hidden updates…