Katherine's Reviews > Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Apr 24, 08

** spoiler alert ** The first book I remember LOVING. I can still remember reading the opening lines at my grandma's kitchen table. I freaked out my mom by memorizing an entire chapter at age eight. (The one where Jess and Leslie write the fake love letter to the class bully. I wonder if I still have it memorized...)

Bridge to Terabithia is a simply amazing novel about the transformative power of friendship and imagination.

The part where Jess accompanies Miss Edmunds to the art museum, and returns to find that Leslie has drowned in the creek, haunted me. Something about the day spent in the presence of art with a beautiful female adult (which Leslie will never become) seemed almost like a betrayal, but one on a level I had never considered before.

And yes, the novel's complex treatment of reality and fantasy, and the shifting relationships between Jess and his friends and family, were completely unlike anything I'd read before. This is another formative book in my life.

I will give Bridge to Terabithia to my children and they will think I'm weird. But given that they're going to grow up with me quoting Yeats and Rilke at them, this won't be out of the ordinary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge to Terabithia.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laurenkatz I also agree with you that this book was very interesting. I loved when they wrote the fake letters because it was really interesting.

Cami I memorized that part, too!!! But I was Leslie in the play so I kinda had to...