LaDawn's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 25 to 29, 2012

I will start by confessing that I am a devoted baseball fan and part of what I love about baseball is what I like about this book. I am fascinated by the pace of a baseball game and this book felt like it was paced like a ball game on a sunny afternoon.

The book centres around four men and a woman and what happens when a small insignificant college in Wisconsin discovers a baseball star and instead of being a losing team they become a winning team. I found really interesting that the team is rubbish when Henry first joins the team and he alone is responsible for their success. But as Henry loses his mind, the team pulls together and each individual gets better making the team overall better.

It reminded me of Catcher in the Rye but better. Much better.

I loved the way this book ended. I loved the character development. I loved the pacing. I liked the place although I didn't feel or smell it the way I have other books but I suspect this isn't a book about those sensations.

Am hoping it doesn't take him as long to write his next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

04/25/2012 page 15