Riku Sayuj's Reviews > Notes from Underground, White Nights, The Dream of a Ridiculous Man, and Selections from The House of the Dead

Notes from Underground, White Nights, The Dream of a Ridiculo... by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

1651956
Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, r-r-rs, translated, philosophy, direct-phil, classics, epic-stuff, history-europe
Read from August 26 to 28, 2011

Short, brisk, Scathing and dark as dark can be. I hope you experience some of the uplifting depression this book gave me... It does pull you out in the end but around the middle of the book, it buries you deeper than you ever thought possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from Underground, White Nights, The Dream of a Ridiculous Man, and Selections from The House of the Dead.

03/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tanuj (new)

Tanuj Solanki Loved it too! Both parts are so well done. Although the first one requires some Kant, and some appreciation of the philosophical questions of the author's day to fully enjoy.

Richard Derus "Uplifting depression" is precisely my experience of this book, but I'd never have thought to say it that way. Thanks!

Riku Sayuj Richard wrote: ""Uplifting depression" is precisely my experience of this book, but I'd never have thought to say it that way. Thanks!"

Glad that others shared the paradoxical feelings...

message 4: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned Mozier I read at the age of 26 or so... still reeling from its visceral pain and ecstasy in a life realized, imagined and rendered.

Praj Okay... now this book needs a "Riku-esque' review...

message 6: by Himanshu (new)

Himanshu My exact thoughts after just finishing it. Thanks for putting them to words!

message 7: by rahul (new)

rahul uplifting depression