Jessica (Step Into Fiction)'s Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: arcs, top-30-reads-of-2012, 5-stars
Read from March 25 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

Julie Kagawa is amazing. I just needed to start off this review with that. Seriously, she’s so incredibly talented and one of the most kickass authors I’ve met. I’m a huge fan of her Iron Fey series, like HUGE fan…especially of Puck. So, I guess you can say I went in to this book with extremely high expectations. Which may not be fair of me, as a reader but let me tell you, I was not disappointed at all. In fact, I do believe this book is better than her Iron Fey series.

Another reviewer on our site is reviewing this book so I will only be posting it here and on my personal Amazon account. We’ve got a few big fans of Julie’s over at Fictional Distraction and I got her Iron Fey series to review so it’s only fair I don’t hog them all ;)

That being said, let’s get to this amazing book. First off, I’m still iffy when it comes to vampire books. Let’s say I’m still recovering from Twilight and those vampires who sparkle in the sun. I think after reading THE IMMORTAL RULES I can firmly say I have new faith in vampires. Well – at least vampire fiction, particularly young adult vampire fiction. This, though…it’s something fresh and something new. I love dystopian novels and mixing the two together is quite brilliant. So not only do you pull in vampire fans but you also attract dystopia fans.

Let’s start with Allison, our main character. I’m going out on a limb here and saying she just might be my new favorite protagonist. Seriously. She’s so kickass I can’t even wrap my head around it. She has had a rough life, she lost her mother when she was young and since then, she was out on her own, surviving as an unregistered. She starts out in this book as a human but tragedy strikes and she’s given a choice. Die or become a vampire. She chooses to be turned in to the one thing she’s hated her entire life. Her struggles definitely don’t end there. And when she’s given a katana (sword) she becomes deadly. Besides the fact that she will cut off your head before you can even blink, this girl is snarky. She will hit you back with a smart-ass response faster than about 99% of the people I come across. She stands up to people who everyone else is terrified of, if she doesn’t like something she’ll let you know. But that’s not all. She’s strong. I’m not just talking physical strength, I’m talking inner strength.

Usually in any YA book I’m swooning over the love interest or some male character in the book/series. I wasn’t. Maybe it’s because with a character like Allie it’s hard to grab my attention in that way? I’m not really sure. I mean, I loved Zeke, I really did. But I found myself liking Darren more. I adored little Caleb. Seriously, who could not love that adorable kid?! What I loved is love wasn’t a main focus in THE IMMORTAL RULES. Surviving and trying to remain human seemed more important and I didn’t miss the lack of romance, if you will. If the story is as powerful as this was, you don’t need some mushy crush, you know?

The vampires. All vampires are a love/hate thing with me. There are vampires who are more human, like Allie and her sire, Kanin but then we have vampires who are the monsters we believe them to be. But there are worse vampires…the rabids. The ones who have been infected. They don’t just kill a person, the mutilate them. Rip them to pieces, literally. It’s disturbing and disgusting.

I can’t even put in to words how happy this book made me! I’m afraid to talk too much about the story in fear of spoiling something for someone. But you need to read this book. Especially if you’re a fan of Julie Kagawa’s – you won’t be disappointed, I assure you. If you’ve never read any of Julie’s work (shame on you) then this is for, like I said, vampire and dystopian fans. I don’t know how you could read this book and NOT like it. I really don’t. April 24 – make sure you go out and buy yourself a copy. I know I will be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

03/26/2012
15.0% "Ooooooh. Me likey..."
03/26/2012
25.0% "I really like Kanin. And now Allie has a sword. She is all sorts of kickass. Whoop."
03/27/2012
55.0% "Gah. If I wasn't having trouble keeping my eyes open, I'd keep on reading..."
03/28/2012
79.0% "Holy hell this is amazing."
03/29/2012
100.0% "Oh wow. Julie has done it again. Except, I actually think this is better than her Iron Fey books and that's saying something seeing as I'm obsessed with those...AMAZING."