Patricia's Reviews > Bud, Not Buddy

2782036
Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: children, newberry-award-winners
Read on September 16, 2011

I hadn't planned to read this one anytime soon but I was at the library and they were starting to turn out the lights and close up. I had no book in my hand ready to checkout so I quickly ducked into the kids section and grabbed the first "classic" that I'd never read.

This was a great book! When my daughter was younger we held a book club at our house every few months. Kids would read a book like Everything on a Waffle and then we'd discuss it while eating a bunch of related snacks (in this case, everything on a waffle). I loved it because it gave me a way to bond with my daughter and a great excuse to read children's literature.

This story is told from Bud's point of view, which really gives the reader an insight into his thoughts, fears and longings. You really feel for and know this kid by the end of the book and you cheer him on along his journey. There are some really mature themes and events that take place in this book and yet the story is told in a way that children can understand. Very well done. I've always wanted to read Curtis's The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963, and now even more so after reading Bud's tale. I will have to pick it up the next time I'm in the library, well before they close for the night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bud, Not Buddy.