Kim's Reviews > Some Girls Bite

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, favourites, vampires, urban-fantasy, work
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 02, 2012

I love finding new vampire novels. Despite the diversity of novels these days, I’m always going to love a good vampire story. ‘Some Girls Bite’ definitely fits into that slot. A kickass heroine, sexual tension, addictive blood cravings (though always slightly gross to imagine) and an amazing mystery that I certainly didn’t see unfolding the way it did.

What I really liked about this books with its setting. Not the Chicago aspect, but that it’s set in a world where vampire existence is knowing, they’re out in the open and newly announced too. There’s little guessing and secrecy, but also uncertainty about how vampires fit into society. The vampires are sorted into twelve houses, with only the Master of each house being allowed to change twelve humans into vamps each year. But there’s still that sense of mystery in the supernatural world with a sect of vampires (Rogues) and various otherworldly beings still keeping their identities hidden.

What can I say about Merit? Apart from a burning desire to find out what her full name is; Merit is exactly the type of female lead I love readings about. She has flaws, misguided thoughts and sarcastic comebacks to lighten the mood. It’s extremely fun to see her adapt to her new life and I can’t wait to see more of her in the next book.

I was a little worried about the potential love interests in the story. I know which guy I prefer (despite the obvious attempts at staying away from Merit), but it seemed like every new, supernatural guy Merit met in this book was single and hot. While a few of these guys were knocked out of the running pretty quick, I’m hoping there won’t be a massive love triangle for long – although I adore the sexual tension that builds up in the absence of a steady relationship.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the rest of the series.

5/5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Bite.

Quotes Kim Liked

Chloe Neill
“As we left the kitchen, I asked, “Can I hold your sword today?”
Catcher glanced back over his shoulder and lifted a brow.
The sword,” I corrected. “The sword.”
We’ll see.”
Chloe Neill, Some Girls Bite

12/30/2011 page 48
14.0% "Probably not the best thing to say when you first meet your vampire lord...good work Merit."
12/31/2011 page 122
36.0% "Aw, poor Merit. Lots of action for one night though. I'm really enjoying this book."
01/01/2012 page 254
74.0% "I think I'd be slightly embarrassed eating dinner after what Merit just witnessed...awkward."

Heather (hungrycookiemonster) Oh, your cover is different.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yeah, I like the UK covers better...they were also cheaper, so I'm going with the UK books :P

Sarah (saz101) Eeeeee! Kim! I'm so glad you liked it! I LOVED this series, just do yourself a favour, and when you read book 4, make sure you have book 5 waiting.

I know what you mean about all the hot, single guys! Ugh! I totally thought when he first appeared that there might be soemthing between Catch and Merit, but was glad there wasn't--I'm very happy with the guy she seems to be avoiding, too :D

Oh, and you DO find out what Merit's name is, and also why she uses Merit, and not her christian name. You could also look at the Goodreads 'characters' thing and find out >:D

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm angry at myself for not getting into this series earlier. I've been told to have both book 4 & 5 nearby when I'm reading and to have tissues. (even though I can't order them in for a few days *sad face*)

Me too. Catch gave her an appraising look and I was all "No!" (not that he's bad or anything, but I've got a thing for Ethan already and I'm holding a grudge against everyone who gets in the way!)

Yay, I'm glad her name gets revealed...don't think I'll look it up yet, it'll give me something to look forward to in the series.

Sarah (saz101) I feel EXACTLY the same as you about Ethan! I even like Morgan, but I kind of want him to go away! Seriously, though, I makes it SO much more satisfying (and frustrating) when Ethan and Merit finally get together!

I only heard about the series a few months ago--I DEVOURED it. So so happy you discovered and loved it, too--even if it took you a while XD
I'm kind of like that with Vampire Academy at the moment. I'm like 'huh? WHY did I wait this long?!'

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yay! I can't wait for that moment! Ethan <3

I have a friend who read the series a few months ago and I thought about reading them then...but didn't. I really have to learn to trust my book friends more often because they usually have similar tastes to me and that should be enough of a recommendation.

Ah, but at least you're reading VA now...and you didn't have to wait between Shadow Kiss and Blood Promise...or, scratch that; wait between any of them! Even the wait between Vampire Academy and Frostbite was hard.