Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Blue Bloods

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Oct 02, 11

Read from September 14 to 21, 2011

So I was reading a Cracked article a little while ago. It told me that you get addicted to pop music because it sets off the pleasure centre of your brain. Cracked also told me that your brain derives pleasure from particularly predictable music because your brain enjoys predicting things and enjoys being right even more.

Nickelback are crapity, crap, crap!
Finally, humanity's explanation for Nickelback

No... seriously, look at this:

Look at this photograph
Everytime I do it makes me _________
How did our eyes get so red
And what the hell is on Joey's _________

And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it ________
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneaking _________

Your welcome, by the way, for all that brain crack I just gave you.

Now, despite the fact that that article is only 60% exaggerated bullshit (you must agree, that's fairly good for a Cracked article!) I strongly believe there IS something to that predictablility factor that makes things enjoyable to our brains - which explains about 90% of the YA Paranormal genre.

Blue Bloods is brain crack at it's core. Yet I gave it three stars.

Vampires? Check.
Teenagers? Check.
Exclusive vampire school? Check.
Danger? Check.
Vampire hotty? Well, this gets a merit check for the ATTEMPT at a vampire hotty.
Love triangle? Check.

This book was painfully corny and the writing wasn't that great.

If you've read one YA paranormal then you've pretty much read them all.

The only reason this one got 3 stars:

1. Because it actually tried hard to have an original storyline/mystery - even if both ended up nonsensical.
2. The very end with Jack. That was actually satisfying.

Otherwise, keep walking, people. Nothing to see here.
87 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Bloods.

09/20/2011 page 25
8.0% "I keep trying to read this but I keep falling asleep!"
09/20/2011 page 170
53.0% "170 pages for the big reveal..."

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tatiana I am trying to understand why you are reading this... stuff?

Kat Kennedy Penny and I had this conversation - long story short - It's a legitimate attempt to help a 15 year old friend of mine.

Tatiana To find books that would fry her brain?;)

Kat Kennedy Haha! No. We have a deal. I read two books off her "awesome" list and she has to read two books that I tell her to. She picked these two books. I picked Saving Francesca and Stolen: A letter to my captor first up. I'm hoping to get her to read more quality fictioN

Tatiana Oh my, I guess it is a reasonable sacrifice to get her to read something of quality.

Kat Kennedy Sacrifice being the key word there. This shit is so painful!

Tatiana So, what were the other options on that "awesome" list? Besides Twilight of course.

Kat Kennedy Most of them I'd already read. Predictably she doesn't have a long list but my other two options were Hush, Hush and Evermore - both of which I've read.

I can't remember what else was on the list but they were all similar books.

Tatiana Poor girl! I hope you can refine her taste in books. Eventually.

message 12: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Wow. I feel really sorry for you Kat. I read four of these in a week because I was bored out of my mind. Each subsequent volume gets worse to the point where I'm wondering what the fuck this author has written on her outline.

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy man, i hated this book...

Kat Kennedy Thanks for that, Elizabeth. How embarrassing!

Sarah  3 stars, you are far more generous than I ever will be!

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte I like Nickelback.

Kat Kennedy Good for you!

message 6: by Howdy YAL (new)

Howdy YAL I actually liked this one. If only because I find it's concept so interesting and it's very melodramatic in a campy soap opera way. The mythology does get better on in the series, but there are definite ups and downs here (I'd skip book five and the 5 1/2 (yes, there's a half book which honestly should've been tacked on to book five after being heavily edited) entirely. Is it great literature, no. But this is my guilty pleasure series, I think Jack Force and Kingsley Martin make up for a lot of the corny parts that do occur and Mimi is pretty kick ass (in the later books).

Susannah M This comment pretty much sums up my feelings about this book completely. Thanks!

Celeste Is it sad that i read this when i need comfory reading?

Parker Laborn You read my mind.

Harrypotterlvrfvr This is exactly how I feel! This book had everything a typical YA book has but it was just so blah and boring and the writing wasn't the best.

message 1: by Wolfgarrr (new)

Wolfgarrr Whats nickelback?