Kristen's Reviews > Blubber

Blubber by Judy Blume

Sep 15, 11

liked it
Read in September, 2011

Are you ever picked on at school by popular kids? Have you ever felt that teachers are out to get you? If so the novel, Blubber, by Judy Blume is for you. Blume often writes relistic middle level storys which many students can connect to their own life. Blume always add humor into a real life situation, like bullying. This book showed many things that I remember from my fifth grade classes.
I felt this book showed a realistic view of students picking on other children. The parents and the adults were oblivious about how mean the popular girls were to Linda. Blume's characters felt like real people. However, I did not think that the girl who got picked on was a very sympathic character. She was also mean. This caused me not to feel as bad for her as I should when she got picked on. While the plot was not as fast-paced and exciting as the some of the books that are out there today, middle schoolers can feel connected to the characters and plot lines in the story.
Many schools have banned this book from classrooms. Many parents dislike the use of swear words in this book espically when the main character described her teacher as a bad word. I realize that Blume was trying to sound like a real fifth-grader, but I think she could have chosen a different way to represent the child's anger. Although, there are many controversies about the ending, I thought that it stayed true to real life. Everything does not always end happily ever after and Blume's novel reflects this unfairness. This was a very insightful book about how fifth grade students act towards each other. I have enjoyed almost all the books I have read by Judy Blume.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blubber.

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea Evering Great job on your reviews so far! Thoughtful and thorough without being too detailed as to give the story away. I haven't read Blubber in a long time...I'd forgotten some of its controversial parts. I think some of what Blume wrote "back then" still resonates with kids...I agree that it does end well and that the ending is realistic though not happy...such is life, huh? :-)