Cj W's Reviews > The Shattered Sylph

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: fiction, romance, fantasy
Read in April, 2011

Wow.
This book, another one that I bought for $2 at Wal-Mart because it was short and sounded interesting, is pretty good.

Firstly, I am not the most informed person, but I have never heard of a 'Sylph' before. From what I understand, they are supposed to mimic the elementals. Air, water, Land, And I assume, that the Battle Sylphs' that this book is mainly about, are supposed to be the 'fire' element.

They are from another dimension, and in most lands, they become trapped in this world, by humans luring them by the way of a beautiful woman, for them to want this woman, and be drawn to her, then they kill her. Which traps the Sylph in our realm. Quite interesting.
However, some Sylphs are in this land in another way. They have fallen in love with women, and mated with them, making them the Sylphs one true master, their 'queen'. This also makes this woman the queen of all other nearby Sylphs. This makes her their master also. Except that in these regions, they also have the ability to have 'sub-masters'. Women that they fall in love with, or men that they have a bond with. Although they do not like men masters, and the only one that I've read that has one (now willingly but not to begin with) is Ril.

This is actually a good book.
It does qualify, in my book, as smut. It is however on a deeper emotional level then I have read in the past. Although I do admit I have not read a ton of 'romance novels'.

This could be such a promising movie if the right director got ahold of it. It's got it all. Romance, really good fight scenes, and an interesting story line. I would be very interested to see what someone could do for this book or even the series in the video form.

I also enjoy the thought process behind the book, and the Queens.
Slaves, who are trapped and forced to do their masters bidding, hate one another and go mad inside with aggression and loathing, once freed and have the option of staying under the order of a 'just' ruler, find love for one another and happiness under the ruler, and it becomes 'service', not slavery, with love, not contempt.

Anyways, I would say that this book was worth the money, and may be worth slightly more then I paid for it. I am actually interested in other books of this series/author now, to piece together the history of Ril and his life and what happened to make him the way he is.

I know the above is only a slight 'taste' of what the book is about, without going into much detail. I think this is one you should read yourself and let it unfold.

CJ

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattered Sylph.