Sara's Reviews > A Lonely Resurrection

A Lonely Resurrection by Barry Eisler

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: thriller
Read from September 14 to 16, 2011

The book is not well paced. In fact it sort of drags. Eisler enjoys using metaphor for describing the scenes around him. He does have a nice touch for it and you do get a good feeling for Toyko as he describes it to you. And he describes it a lot. I would have preferred less of background description, but that is a matter of taste.

Eisler occasionally writes in excruciating step by step detail the various movements of his character. On the one hand, it is in keeping with the character who is an assassin and the narrator of the story. Assassins are notorious for being detailed to the nth degree. On the other hand, I didn't find it gripping narrative.

An assassin's tale should be gripping. It is, after all, a thriller. Part of the lack of interest, for me anyway, was that I didn't find John Rain all that fascinating. I don't necessarily have to sympathize with him, although I think that is Eisler's intent. But it would be nice to all least feel compelled to know what happens to him next. I didn't.

You never feel like Rain is in any danger of being in over his head. His fights are quick and without much of an underdog feeling, so when he eventually kills his foe, you mostly nod and move on to the next scene, without any cheering. Since Rain is an aging assassin, this could have so easily been turned into his weakness in a fight. The reason why he loses the occasional fight, why he almost dies but in the end turns it around for the win. But no. Rain is just really cold and really good and there never is much question that he is going to win. And do it quickly.

The conspiracy was nicely convoluted. And the man behind the conspiracy is still alive and kicking at the end, so you do feel like you would like to see that next book in hopes of getting his ass "resolved". But Rain isn't particularly invested in resolving or exposing the conspiracy. He isn't motivated by ideals. He acts for the most part on equations of loss and gain. If the gain is greater, he acts. But in this book he is converted to act on emotion by the murder of a friend.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lonely Resurrection.