Jamie's Reviews > Watchers

Watchers by Dean Koontz
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1107539
's review
Jan 01, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: never-to-read-again
Read in January, 2008

blah.... Now, I know that when someone writes a book it doesn't have to reflect real life, but does that mean that they couldn't at least try to make it seem real? Like whatever is going on in the book could really happen in the 'real' world?
Do you think that Dean Koontz could have wrote a book that wasn't so drippy with sentimentality towards his favorite breed of dog, that other people could actually get through it?

Well, I did - barely. It was soooo dang painful too. All his annoying story recipes were present such as: beautiful, perfect woman; strong, manly (yet so thoughtful)man; and technology gone awry. The point? To save one beautiful and amazingly smart golden retriever (can he talk? Oh, do you have to ask?) from a crazed and Evil baboon/pig (how evil? Evil enough to kill an amazing golden retriever, so thats pretty darn evil). Will you wish you had spent your time doing something else? YES!!!
27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchers.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you actually read the dang book?


message 2: by Martin (last edited Dec 19, 2009 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Martin Jamie, you hit the nail on the head...


Cynthisa Lol. Yeah, kudos to you for actually finishing the dang thing.... I couldn't. (Maybe if it'd been a dachshund or a Jack Russell terrier, I'd have liked it better!)


Jamie Cynthisa wrote: "Lol. Yeah, kudos to you for actually finishing the dang thing.... I couldn't. (Maybe if it'd been a dachshund or a Jack Russell terrier, I'd have liked it better!)"

That makes me laugh! Maybe a different dog breed would have saved it. Terriers are pretty stubborn, I'm sure they would have made for some interesting plot fodder if nothing else. But then again, nothing else in the book was good either, so that little terrier would have had a load to carry. Energy better used for something else!


Dennis Anthony I read Odd Thomas and thought he showed a delicate touch and nice crafting of characters. This one was broad, cliched, overly sentimental, et., etc. I couldn't believe they were written by the same author.


Jamie Den wrote: "I read Odd Thomas and thought he showed a delicate touch and nice crafting of characters. This one was broad, cliched, overly sentimental, et., etc. I couldn't believe they were written by the same..."

I don't think I read that one. I believe that after the three bad choices I made, I was not interested. I have heard good things about it though.


Sirius Rush It's one of the best, most touching stories he has written. I've read it about 4 times since 1994. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this novel is too negative


message 8: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val We're you smoking a joint while trying to read this book ???? It was OUTSTANDING - and would list it as a re -read . Goldens are the best . Dean knows


Jamie lol!
You guys are too much! Its a fiction book. Nothing in it will change the course of the history of the world. Breath a little! You WILL be ok :D


message 10: by Koozie (new)

Koozie You see, this is why you're single...


message 11: by Jamie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jamie Koozie wrote: "You see, this is why you're single..."
Me? or the others above me? Regardless, that is a pretty big assumption made on just an opinion of a book.


Brett Catinella It's called FICTION, you moron.


message 13: by Jamie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jamie Brett wrote: "It's called FICTION, you moron."

Harsh


Brett Catinella Jamie wrote: "Brett wrote: "It's called FICTION, you moron."

Harsh"


Well you said: why couldn't it be a little realistic? Well you know why? It's because it's about an intelligent dog being chased by a monster. MONSTER. MON-ST-ER. Get it?


message 15: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Lucier Jamie wrote: "lol!
You guys are too much! Its a fiction book. Nothing in it will change the course of the history of the world. Breath a little! You WILL be ok :D"


You say this... And then you say:

"does that mean that they couldn't at least try to make it seem real? Like whatever is going on in the book could really happen in the 'real' world?"

You said it yourself, it's fiction. You're allowed not to like it, but don't use your argument against it to argue against people who enjoyed it.

There are plenty of books which could not, have not, and will never happen "in the 'real' world...". That doesn't make them into bad books...


message 16: by Josh (new)

Josh Taylor So apparently dog lovers really love this book? Or are they Koontz lovers? Wow...


message 17: by Jamie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jamie :)


Sarah Anne I have to say, the comment about his favorite "breed" of dog? He didn't adopt his dog until nearly ten years later, which is when he became so fond of Goldens. He's also written books with other types of dogs. As for the comparison to Odd Thomas, which IS actually quite sentimental, nothing in Koontz's writing is like Odd. Odd is very unique and if you're hoping all of his books are like that, you'll always be disappointed by his books.


Jeanine Armada I was ready to post the same thing Brett posted. It is Fiction.


Megi128 I totally agree. The book was so unreal, it was terrible to read (although I love dogs and own one goldie).


Alexis Cardone I totally agree, at times the golden was too sappy and cheesy for me. But that's how goldens are. It just didn't fit the story.


Krista Huhtala I thought the book was really poorly written. The plot was often laughable. I will not count myself as a Koontz fan.


message 23: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori I agree with Sarah Sorensen. Dean didn't own any dogs when he wrote Watchers, let alone a golden retriever. Big assumption that retrievers were his "favorite breed" when he wrote the book. Having said that, I was engrossed by this book from the first paragraph.


message 24: by Jamie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jamie Thanks for the comments :)

To this day I still feel the same about this book as I did when I first wrote my review. But, you know, to each his own. I know I like some pretty horrid fantasy fic and I would never read a super dry lawyer fiction, but I know many who love that sort of thing.

I think the lesson learned here is: hey! we read! lol!

May all your reading time be long and uninterrupted!


Lynda Cordova Well, if the writer wasn't writing fantasy, sure it could reflect real life, but then it would not be a book that Dean Koontz wrote. When reading fantasy novels, expect fantasy, not reality.


message 26: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike You may want to read non fiction instead? The point of any fiction book is not to be like "real life" SMH. Terrible to give a book one star because it's not real.


Ashley James I don't really understand you don't like this books because it's too unreal can't the same be said of almost every horror book especially a book you must of known was about a scientifically altered dog I'm fine with you not liking the book but to dislike a horror book for being unrealistic seems a bit silly I don't know if I've ever read a horror book I would consider believable


back to top