Crista's Reviews > Day of Tears

Day of Tears by Julius Lester

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, multicultural, african-american, aa-hist-fict
Read from September 20 to 21, 2011

This is a very emotional and powerful story. Lester does a remarkable job of coming setting and dialogue to tell the story of a very rainy day that changed so many lives. Set in the time of slavery, we follow one main character, Emma, as she is sold at America’s largest slave auction. Although a bit confusing at first, I did like the way the author combined the characters thoughts and reflections with their conversational dialogue. We know what every character is thinking in the moment and how they feel looking back. I love the relationship balance of those for and against slavery. I was most surprised by Sampson’s opinions and beliefs. There are so many times in the story where there reader is absolutely absorbed in the moments. The most powerful scene by far is Sarah’s response when she comes home from the auction. I am glad the tissues where nearby. This is an excellent story to when teaching about slavery and the times before the Civil War. I would recommend this book for grades 5th-8th .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of Tears.