Pamelabyoung's Reviews > Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey

Riding the Bus with My Sister by Rachel Simon

Sep 17, 11

Read in September, 2011

Wow! I have always loved autobiographies and non-fiction, but this book stunned me with literary elegance, flowing story arc and beautiful writing that knit together a true story of family, dysfunction and ultimately, understanding. The writer has a sister with Mental Retardation who is eleven months younger. The story of their family life is told in flashbacks as the two sisters find each other while riding public bus transportation together, something that has become the life "mission" of the younger of the two. Honest, compelling and full of real life lessons, this book is everything any author could aspire to write. To tell ones own story with heart-baring truth leaving the reader with newfound knowledge and compassion and understanding is the ultimate literary experience.

"Maybe we are all Beths, boarding other people's life journeys, or letting them hop aboard ours. For awhile we ride together. A few minutes, a few miles. Companions on the road, sharing our air and our view, our feet swaying to the same beat. Then you get off at your stop, or I get off at mine. Unless we decide to stay on longer together "

Although there are those who are hateful along the journey, Rachel Simon's lovely book is filled with meaningful philosophy from bus drivers, special needs friends, case workers and people on the street. There is so much to learn if one is willing to take the time to listen.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding the Bus with My Sister.