readinghearts (Lyn M)'s Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012, books-i-own, contemporary, group-read, new-to-me-authors, women-s-fiction
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: Saw it on Goodreads
Read from January 13 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: one

When I bought this book, I was expecting a very victorianesque book with alot of discussion on the meanings of flowers, and maybe even a little of the magical elements that are found in so many of today's books. That was not what this book was at all. What I found was a great modern day story about one girl's journey to be loved, and to believe herself loveable, and therefore able to love others. Although it was not quite what I thought it was going to be, I thoroughly enjoyed what it was. I thought the story of Victoria was compelling and interesting. I think I felt sorry for Victoria, even though I wanted to slap her some of the time. Elizabeth and Grant were easy to love, although at one point I thought that Grant was almost too good to be believed. And I thought that Renata and her family were a kick. What great characters the author peppered this book with.

I thought the story line was great also. It was poignant without being sappy and I liked the way that the author let you guess as to what the big deal between Victoria and Elizabeth was. Although I guessed what caused their break up before it was revealed, there were elements of the situation that the author was able to surprise me with.

Last comment is I have to give Kudos to the author on the ending. It was hopeful while still staying true to the characters and the tone of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

01/14/2012 page 25