Sarah's Reviews > Last Places: A Journey in the North

May 08, 08

bookshelves: nature, 2008
Recommended to Sarah by: Jill
Read in May, 2008

Jill's choice for our book club. Entertaining, but I was left wanting for pictures and maps. All around, an excellent book club choice!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Places.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Lawrence Millman
“After a day on Mykines, I changed my mind about life not going on. A sort of life was going on, beating with a reasonalbe version of a pulse, but that life consisted for the most part of travelers like myself. There were maybe a dozen of us -- one third of the island's population. Our tribe could only increase as the Mykines tribe dwindled away, a few falling down steps, most simply emigrating, until there would be, sad to say, only our peripatetic selves. We were the future of all places condemned by remoteness to a lingering, photogenic death.”

Lawrence Millman
“Once when I looked up, I happened to see a sea eagle poised on magisterial wings above the knurled summit of the mountain behind my tent. It was a scene of peerless tranquility, tossed out in Nature's devil-may-care way, which says: Just open your eyes, my friend, and I'll astonish you every minute of your life.”

Lawrence Millman
“Another day I walked out of town to do a bit of climbing in the mountains behind the airport. I scrambled up and down slopes that contained some of the oldest rocks in the world, isotope-dated at 3,800 billion years, remnants, so the geological rumor goes, of the earth's earliest terrestrial crust.”

Lawrence Millman
“...there were only fifteen thousand polar bears in the world, and five billion of me. To let one of them devour my all-too-common flesh would, if only slightly, help adjust the grievous imbalance.”