Paul S's Reviews > The Teeth of the Tiger

The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy

Sep 21, 2011

it was ok
Read from September 14 to 21, 2011

As a long time reader of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan series, I avoided reading Teeth of the Tiger for several years because I knew it wouldn’t live up to the original series. Unfortunately, my fears turned out to be totally justified.

The original Ryan novels, all of which I gave at least four stars here on goodreads, were some of the most complex and suspenseful books I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. In short, they were the gold standard of the international thriller genre—imitated by many, surpassed by few.

Unfortunately, all of what made the original series so excellent--multifaceted plots, exhaustive detail, and intrigue—were, for all intents and purposes, nonexistent in Teeth of the Tiger. The plot was extremely one-dimensional, the pace was agonizing, and there was a distinct lack of any form of exciting conclusion or ultimate event—something at which the Clancy of old was a master. The only saving grace for me was the nostalgia factor. It was fun catching up with familiar characters, though only via conversations between newer characters. The closest we come to Jack Ryan the elder, for example, is knowing he is on the other end of a phone call—wholly unsatisfying, for those of us who craved Ryan books of old.

What’s more, the quality of Clancy’s writing has gotten drastically worse. His attempt to capture how young people talk was simply painful. The majority of the dialogue between two of the main characters was horrible, reading both as unrealistic and forced. The same conversations seemed to take place repeatedly, many times using the exact catch phrases and themes over and over again. It seemed like extraordinarily lazy writing, especially for an author of Clancy’s caliber.

On the whole, I’d advise any long time Clancy reader to skip this installment. Your time would be better spent reliving some of the moments that made the original Ryan series so great, none of which you’ll find in this novel.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teeth of the Tiger.