Kristy's Reviews > The Sword Guest

The Sword Guest by Martin Chu Shui

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: free-kindle-downloads, dragons, fantasy, read-in-2011, vampires
Read in November, 2011

My apologies to the author, but you DID say you were looking forward to my review....

This book is in my mind the literary equivalent of the worst movie ever made, "Big Trouble In Little China." How Tai Chi, vampires, half-monster-half-man creatures, aliens, and potions all ended up in the same story I have no clue, but it did not work for me. I was interested in the first few chapters; I thought the whole idea of the pen bringing things to life by drawing their eyes was a great plot starter...but the story went downhill from there. There's just too much STUFF. It's like a melting pot of fantasy characters...mixed in with a very heavy dose of Tai Chi. Now if you're really into Tai Chi (and I mean live, breathe, sleep, eat it!) then perhaps you'd enjoy this. If you're big (HUGE) into Chinese folklore, you might enjoy this. But otherwise, I can't recommend this book to anyone. The story was confusing and dull, the ending was ghastly yet childish at the same time. It made no sense to me. And true, fantasy is not technically supposed to make sense, but when your brain can't even wrap itself around the idea in the book there's not really any point in reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword Guest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevis (new) - added it

Kevis Hendrickson I love Big Trouble in Little China! I just don't think I'd enjoy reading it.

Kristy Haha. ;) Well I don't know...maybe you'd like this then. :P It's not really the same story, it just reminds me of it because of all the Chinese mysticism.

message 3: by Kevis (new) - added it

Kevis Hendrickson I went ahead and downloaded it since it's free. I'll give it a shot. But if it turns out to be a stinker, I can't say I haven't been warned! :P

Kristy LOL. No, you can't say that at all!! If my review didn't put up some red flags, nothing will!

Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs "Big Trouble In Little China." is a wonderful movie! Its silly, but fun. Unfortunately I had to give this book a poor review as well.

Kristy Haha. Well at least we agree on the book!! :P

Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs Well, if two people agree on everything then one of them is unnecessary. Distension is a wonderful thing, homogeneity of thought gives me the screaming willies.
But, then again, I am not right (in the head, you know. Its dark and scary and full of spider webs in here, but they do know me ;)
Be well ;)