Sinead Mccormick's Reviews > Fantastic Mr. Fox

F 50x66
Sep 14, 11

Fantastic Mr Fox

Roald Dahl

As much as I enjoyed all of Roald Dahl’s books I feel a certain loyalty to Fantastic Mr Fox as it was the first of Dahl’s books that I read. A common trait throughout Dahl’s work is that of a simple story with an underlying message. This trait is clearly evident in Fantastic Mr Fox.

Dahl manages to portray the typically elusive character of a fox as the hero of this story, describing him as a family man that will go to any length to look after his wife and children. He keeps the descriptions of the three farmers Boggis, Bonce and Bean simple but instantly vilifies them. “These horrible crooks, so different in looks, were nonetheless equally mean.”

The story itself describes how Fantastic Mr Fox, his family and the other woodland creatures outsmart the farmers. The farmers had all the machinery, guns and manpower available to them but Mr Fox still manages to succeed in getting past them and getting food for everyone. A simple message of brains over brawn told in a way that children can appreciate.

For me the almost singsong pace of the writing complimented by the lively illustrations create a book that children and adults love to read over and over again.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Mr. Fox.