Nathalie S's Reviews > Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King

Sep 14, 2011

Read in September, 2011 , read count: 1

This is the type of non-fiction book I love to read---it combines history, art, human interest, humor and a foreign language (in this case Italian--I highly recommend listening to this book on CD. Alan Sklar, the reader, speaks Italian beautifully and I had a great time repeating his melodious words!).
Michelangelo Buonarroti--yes, THAT Michelangelo--is already one of the great sculptors of his time--this is his forte. Yet, through rivalries and intrigues, he is commissioned to paint the Sistine Chapel by Pope Julian, Il Papa terribile, to whom you just didn't say no, plus it paid quite well. The stickler is that it was in fresco, a medium that was not by far Michelangelo's strength. But he goes ahead and the rest is well...history. Imagine what he would have done if fresco WAS his forte! But this four-year journey is a treat to listen to. I always enjoy finding out "the rest of the story" and the behind-the-scene details. This book definitely delivers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling.