Tad's Reviews > Operation Napoleon

Operation Napoleon by Arnaldur Indriðason

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, thriller
Read from September 23 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

Operation Napoleon is a great suspense thriller that spans from the waning days of WWII to the present. A plane carrying German and American officers crashes onto a glacier during a blizzard at the end of the second world war and quickly becomes swallowed up by the glacier. A search for the downed plane is unsuccessful, as are successive searches over the years. When satellite photos reveal that the plane is once again emerging from the glacier, a race is on to recover the plane and its secrets before the rest of the world discovers it.

This story is a great action story as well as an intriguing mystery. Comparisons to Alistar MacLean and even Clive Cussler are fitting. The Icelandic setting means plenty of tongue-twisting consonant-heavy place names, but aside from that, the translation from Icelandic is nearly perfect.

The story is different from many American thrillers in that while the bad guys have weapons, the protagonists do not and rely on wit, courage and determination. The characters are interesting and complicated and the mystery is equally intriguing and ultimately satisfying. The perspective of an Icelandic protagonist and her views on America add an interesting dimension to the story. The action is steady and builds to a satisfying conclusion.

This was my first exposure to Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason but I look forward to reading more of his work. Any fan of action/adventure thrillers will enjoy this book, which I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation Napoleon.

09/23/2011 page 30