Nick O'kelly's Reviews > Swept: Love with a Chance of Drowning

Swept by Torre DeRoche

M_50x66
Sep 14, 11

Read in September, 2011

Torre is able to honestly express what most hopeful cruisers (whether they'll admit it or not) feel down deep when contemplating a trip into the unknown. The fears, the second-guessing, and obsession with worst case scenarios keep most dreamers in port, but Torre is able to leap into the abyss.

Whether you've got the cruising bug or are being drug along by your mate's dream of unlimited freedom, white sandy beaches, and crystal-clear blue water, Torre's tale of love, commitment, and life-changing adventure is a vivid and accurate picture of what life is really like for a reluctant sailor on a big ocean in a small boat: the real and imagined dangers, the breakdowns, the mistakes and missteps, the absurdity and the exhilaration. I found myself laughing out loud as often as I was turning the page to find out what happens next.

Swept is a testimate to the rewards that await even the most trepidatious sailor, and may send you untying the dock lines whether you're "ready" or not. When you're finished, you'll understand why the salty sailors say, "just go."

Nick O'Kelly
Author, Get Her On Board
GET HER ON BOARD
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swept.