Hannah Kersting's Reviews > That Book Woman

That Book Woman by Heather Henson

F_50x66
Sep 14, 11

I really enjoyed the picture book "That Book Woman," by Heather Henson. The book describes an appalachian family, where one son Cal, is unable to read. He thinks that all of the words in books are, "Chicken Scratch." Every so often a lady comes around to deliver books for the children in the family to read. Cal doesn't ever pay attention to the lady because he doesn't like, nor know how to read a book. The lady continues to come through rain, snow, hail, and bad weather. Everytime retreiving the old books and giving the family a new set of books to read. At last, Cal asks his sibling Lark to help him read the book that the Book Lady brought to the house. Lark begins to teach Cal how to read. The end of the book was extremely heartening because Cal wanted to give the book lady a gift for all that she had done for the family. The Book Lady did not want a tangible gift, but instead wanted Cal to, "Read me something." I enhoyed the book very much and i absolutely loved the language that the book used. It gave the book a lot of meaning and the dialect it was written in would be fun for children. The only issue that I have is with the words being of such a deep dialect, I could see it being very difficult for children to read on their own. However, this book would be an excellent read-aloud and I think would be fun for the class. The illustrations are perfect for the book and show the amazing wonders of living on land in the Appalachian area. The characters clothing, house, land, and farm are all drawn beautiful throughout. I would see reading this book to higher level second graders, and to third and fourth graders as well. Definitely a book that I would keep on the shelves in my classroom. Thoroughly enjoyed it and thought that it was an excellent children's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Book Woman.