Matthew's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, fantasy, humor
Read from September 16 to 28, 2011

We're back with the Witches in this book. A good counterpoint to the previous novel, Wyrd Sisters tells the story of three witches, an actor, a playwright and a king. Well, three kings in the end. Pratchett tells his story with the same sort of style as before. Dry, droll humor mixed with a solid story and mixed with just a dash of pop culture references. In this case they're all either comedy (Charlie Chaplin shows up in a dream) or Shakespeare (most of the rest of the inspirations). It's a good mix, though. Even if you've never read Shakespeare you'll get the jokes and even if you didn't know who Chaplin was you'll see the image in your head and smile.

Like most of the Discworld books so far the actual plot is pretty decent. There aren't too many new stories really, just new ways of telling them and this is one of those stories. Pratchett works the tale well and throws in a couple red herrings that might throw you off the scent.

I'll probably come back to this one again. Not because I like the Witches but because it has that good mix of humor and storytelling that an engaging funny book needs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.

09/16/2011
09/24/2011
94.0% "Not weird. Just funny."
09/28/2011
100.0% "Another funny book. I sort of figured out the plot twist about halfway through, but it was still satisfying. What to read next?"
show 4 hidden updates…