Anna's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, favorite-series, favourite, for-review, 6-stars, read-2012, vampires, ya, favorite-heroine
Read from March 28 to 31, 2012

Reviewed at Books to Brighten your Mood

Julie Kagawa, works her miracles again!!! Yeah, The Immortal Rules is that good and then some more! I enjoyed every single bit of this story and the world Kagawa created.

I remember saying it again in my previous reviews of The Iron Fey series but I just have to say it once more: Kagawa's best asset in my personal opinion is her ability to create unique, intricate and astoundingly well built worlds. There, I said it. She's one of the few authors I have encountered in the last couple of years, who has a unique way of envisioning incredible worlds and actually has the ability to make her readers "live" into that world. She has proven herself in the past and she proves it once more.
The world in Immortal Rules is just amazing. Dark, violent and simply the kind of world that could travel me.
One could rationally assume that The Immortal Rules would be a book about vampires we have more or less already read. Let's be honest, the vampire myth is one of the most used of the last years, so I personally was afraid that this story wouldn't be that unique... But no, Kagawa proves me wrong and I couldn't be more happy about it!

The world in Immortal Rules is engrossing, dark and something that I haven't read before. I really liked the idea of some kind of zombie-vampires, I loved how at last vampires experience bloodlust, that despite their best intentions, not consuming blood turns them into mindless beasts, and to not tire you with my endless gushing, there wasn't a simple thing I didn't like about this book :)

Allison is one of my favorite characters and not because I agreed with all her decisions or the way she acted the whole time. She is one of my favorite characters because she was a fighter. She fought for her life constantly. She fought for what she believed was right, even if that was wrong. Was she stubborn? Did her actions result in disaster occasionally? Sure. But all that made her believable. A character that made mistakes and had to live with them. And let's face it. There's no perfect hero as there is no perfect person. And for all that, Allison is one of my favorite characters.

The story was rather long and it wasn't always easy-flowing. I admit there were parts I was a bit tired, but who cares? I'm a sucker for detailed worlds, even when they tire me a bit. I just want to know every single detail about how the story ticks and The Immortal Rules had all that.

All in all, Julie Kagawa delivers yet again a wonderful story that all lovers of YA literature just have to read. Believe me you won't regret it. I sure didn't :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

03/30/2012 page 260