Les 's Reviews > The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education

The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of the Great American School System.

Quotes Les Liked

“What should we think of someone who never admits error, never entertains doubt but adheres unflinchingly to the same ideas all his life, regardless of new evidence? Doubt and skepticism are signs of rationality. When we are too certain of our opinions, we run the risk of ignoring any evidence that conflicts with our views. It is doubt that shows we are still thinking, still willing to reexamine hardened beliefs when confronted with new facts and new evidence.”
Diane Ravitch, The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education

06/09/2012 page 130

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gloria (new)

Gloria So, out of curiosity, what is her proposal for changing things?

message 2: by Les (last edited May 21, 2012 07:22AM) (new) - added it

Les Only on chapter 2, my friend. I will let you know. Can't you read? These were "notes to self." ;) She seems to be a strong advocate of the recommendations in A Nation at Risk that include strong content standards, teaching core essentials, giving both kids and teachers respect, responsibility, and raising salaries for teachers. She is highly in favor of standards, but not this high stakes testing that has become the norm. This is what I gather from 2 chapters and commentary elsewhere anyway.

message 3: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Sorry for intruding on your public notes to self. :) I shall await your update when you finish.

message 4: by Les (new) - added it

Les Did they show up on your updates? I tried to make sure that I was not annoying other people with quotes and references I wanted for future use. I am happy to respond as I learn more, just will discontinue if they keep showing up in everyone's feed.

message 5: by Gloria (new)

Gloria They did ... but no worries, I liked reading it anyway. But now I'll wait. :)