San's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, fiction
Read from January 11 to February 07, 2012

I LOVE this book and don't think I can write a review that can do it justice at this point. I'd give it 10 stars if I could. Such genius at play! Can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

01/12/2012 page 140
17.0% "Wish I didn't have to go to work! Want to just stay home with this book. I love it!"
show 3 hidden updates…

Rohit Raut I started it, got through about a third, and then had to stop. When I revisited it after a month, I was completely and totally confused by the millions of character names and backstories.

Great story though, atleast what I read of it. Now I'm thinking I need to go back and finish it before I watch the HBO show.

message 2: by San (new) - rated it 1 star

San Rohit wrote: "I started it, got through about a third, and then had to stop. When I revisited it after a month, I was completely and totally confused by the millions of character names and backstories.

Great s..."

I know what you mean.. But I cheated a little - I happened to have watched the HBO series before I got my hands on the book. That actually made it MUCH easier for me as I was able to put faces to names. :)

Rohit Raut Hmm, yeah I think I'll just look at the IMDB cast list and half-cheat. :D

Although I heard they haven't shown any of the major battles/wars in the HBO show? Cramped for time I suppose.

PS : Sean Bean in anything medieval is awesome.

message 4: by San (new) - rated it 1 star

San Rohit wrote: "Hmm, yeah I think I'll just look at the IMDB cast list and half-cheat. :D

PS : Sean..."

Yeah, the book has details and insight the show will never achieve but they've done a pretty good job.. I guess funding always picks up after the first season.. Looking forward to the second but I think I'll be good and read the book first.

But I must say, good call on the half-cheat.

Rohit Raut Update: I have gotten through Season 1 of the show, and now I have the characters sorted out in my head.

Onward to Book 2! A Clash of Kings.

message 6: by San (new) - rated it 1 star

San Just saw this message! Glad you found your way through the book. I just finished ACoK! What do you think of it so far?

Rohit Raut I've started with Clash of Kings and wow, the plot is thickening fast!

Also, I love the imp.

message 8: by San (new) - rated it 1 star

San Rohit wrote: "I've started with Clash of Kings and wow, the plot is thickening fast!

Also, I love the imp."

I agree.. such sass that man has. Tyrion, Jon Snow and Arya are my favourites! Have ordered the 3rd and 4th. So excited!