Mag's Reviews > Five Quarters of the Orange

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Sep 14, 11

What to say about "Five Quarters of the Orange", a book that won a special place in my heart?
I read this book last summer. I was bored, lost in a grey melancholia that always takes me down on this time of the year. I decided to read a book to keep the damp off my mind, and because this book had been my latest purchase I decided to just dive into it.

I had already a good opinion on the the author from the books I had read so far. But Five Quarters of the Orange has, most definitely, set her as one of my favourite female authors.

About the story, it's not very common to find a narrator of old age. Most books have a young person narrating or as the center of the story. That's why this one caught my eye. I thought the idea of plunging into the childhood memories of an old french woman, who lived during the WWII, was brilliant. I feared that the novel would turn into a dark passage trought the holocaust, but the author managed to give a colourful and lightweight mood to the story.
With this book, I feel at home. It combines two things I love: that golden childhood aura we sometimes feel nostalgic about, and the senses related to food.

After finishing it, I felt good about myself as if I had just arrived from a long journey from France.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Quarters of the Orange.