Crazyjamie's Reviews > Maximum Security

Maximum Security by Robert Muchamore

Sep 14, 11

Read in September, 2011

The third book in the CHERUB series sees James Adams, our hero from the two previous instalments, taking on his most daring mission yet as he aids the FBI in tracking down a notorious arms dealer. The kicker is that his mission entails infiltrating a maximum security prison where some of the most dangerous child criminals are held, and breaking out the arms dealer's son, who is spending a lengthy term inside. Things are complicated further by the fact that James' sister is also part of what is her first mission in CHERUB.

There is not much need to go into very much detail with this. Maximum Security is a book that continues in the CHERUB mould, and it is easy to see why this book appeals so much to younger readers. The prison setting allows Muchamore to once again inject a healthy amount of grittiness into this book, with some exciting set pieces thrown in for good measure.

However, as with the previous books in the series, the ending of Maximum Security is again rather slow and anti climactic. It's almost as if Muchamore is determined not to follow the trend of ending action books with a big, exciting scene. Unfortunately, for me all it does is bring his books to a conclusion that is not entirely satisfying. So for me it was an easy, harmless read that ticks the required boxes, but nothing more. I'm sure there is still potential for this series to raise the bar, but as it stands this book doesn't do that. Still worth a read for those who have enjoyed the other books, though.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maximum Security.

Farseer I understand what you are saying, but what you see as slow and anticlimactic for me is good plotting, which makes it all seem more real. They need the kids to get in places and earn people's confidence where an adult wouldn't be able to do so, but as soon as that changes it's natural for adult agents to take over. Besides, there was plenty of tension and danger for the CHERUB agents in this mission.