jenjn79's Reviews > Cordina's Royal Family

Cordina's Royal Family by Nora Roberts

Apr 23, 2008

bookshelves: author-nora-roberts, favs-reread, genre-romance-contemporary, reviewed, format-trade-pb, genre-anthologies, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author / series
Recommended for: NR fans / short romance fans
Read in January, 2003

This anthology collection contains reissues of the original 3 Cordina series books. (There's a 4th book, NR wrote years later featuring a 2nd generation Cordina character)

All three of these books were originally published by Silhouette Intimate Moments. So they are short romances with a dose of suspense to go along with them. They have a connected story arc about how the royal family of Cordina is being threatened by a wannabe terrorist named Deboque.

Affaire Royale features Princess Gabriella who was kidnapped by a Deboque's people. She manages to escape but the stress and terror have caused her to lose her memory. The only person she feels comfortable with is the American security specialist, Reeve MacGee her father brought in.

Of the three original Cordina books, this one is my favorite. I liked Reeve and Gabriella the best and their romance was the sweetest of the 3. And the overall storyline was the most appealing for me.

Command Performance is about Cordinian heir to the throne, Alexander and a young American named Eve. Years before Eve came to Cordina with her sister, who was friends with Gabriella. Alex was entranced by her but masked it with distaste for her brash ways. Years after their first meeting, neither can forget each other. Eve now runs a theatre troupe and Alex has requested they come perform in Cordina. The continuing threat from Deboque and Eve relationship to the royal family ends up putting her in danger.

The overall story of this book was appealing, but I didn't find the characters as likable as the first book. Not that I didn't like them, but they just didn't have as much appeal. Alex was a very stiff character...which he had to be because he was the heir to the throne. That uber control just made him kind of detached. But Eve was fairly cool. And I liked how the suspense angle played out.

The Playboy Prince focuses on Prince Bennett who has a vast reputation of being a playboy and having affairs with every pretty woman he meets. So when dull, understated Lady Hannah arrives at the palace, he's baffled by his attraction to her. But what he doesn't know is that Hannah is hiding a big secret. And all the while, the threat from Deboque is at its greatest.

For me, though I enjoyed the story quite a bit, there is an air of unbelievability to it. I won't say why because it would give away part of the plot. But it just didn't quite work for me. But I did like the story. Seeing Bennett fall was sweet.

Like many other NR series, this is another great family set. It's got a bit of a different flavor because of the royalty aspect. And the suspense angle gives the books some meat. I enjoyed reading the first time, and the 2 other times I've reread them.

For NR fans considering these books, they aren't like her new stories, the full-length books. These are old ones and are category romance. So they might not be for you. Only read these if you're a real big NR fan, or if you don't mind the short Harlequin/Silhouette romances.

NOTE: The Cordina books were recently reissued in 2 anthology editions:
Cordina's Royal Family: Gabriella & Alexander
Cordina's Royal Family: Bennett & Camilla

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cordina's Royal Family.

message 1: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim I've got this series on the TBR shelf. Great review - I can't wait to read them!