Arlene's Reviews > Wicked!

Wicked! by Jilly Cooper

819711
Oct 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011-50-book-challenge, borrowed, england, novels
Read from September 13 to October 03, 2011

I plowed through this book,at times trying to figure out what was going on. Some of this I attribute to the fact that I really don't know anything about the English education system or country lift. Once I got into it, I found myself crying over the frustrations of Janna Curtis, our heroine, a public school teacher who is brought to Larksminster comp. She arrives to find a crumbling building, out-of-control students, indifferent teachers and little local support. Everywhere she turns, it seems like someone is trying to just shut the place down and a local developer is wanting to buldoze everything and build a shopping center and high end houses, replacing the low income "estate housing" where her students live. Against these odds, she makes friends with the students and their community and is able to inspire the teachers and hire some new ones who work with her. They team up with another local private school, Bagley Hall to do a wonderful rendition of Shakespere. Some of the scenes and happenings are awful and scandal rocks the neighborhood.
Will there be a happy ending? Will she find love?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked!.