Abby Welker's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Katherine Webb

Sep 22, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011

This book is VERY similar to Kate Morton's "The Forgotten Garden', where the author intertwines the past and the present, telling two different stories in one. I wouldn't say that I was riveted, but the book was definitely entertaining. I became fascinated with Caroline's marriage to an Oklahoma cattle rancher and how disgustingly frail, feeble, and weak she turned out to be. All things considered, this was a fun story to make the housework go by quicker, but I wasn't excited to listen to it each chance I got - I kind of had to force myself to continue with it at times. However, it's fairly clean - there was one 'love scene' but it was kept to a minimum, and there were a couple of "F" bombs.

**Spoiler**
I guess the "Legacy" left behind is that Caroline took William from his family; The Dinsdales took Henry from his family; and everybody was miserable because one bad link in the chain - Caroline - was so horrible, weak, and worthless. So much love was lost because she was so weak. Some might have sympathy for her, but I don't. I never did all throughout the book. I did feel bad for her that she couldn't get pregnant with Corrin - that could drive any good woman into a deep depression. I can't relate to any of those emotions, so maybe I could be more sympathetic of her if I really understood the depths of her pain. Regardless, she took Magpie's baby, sailed across the ocean with him, and dumped him off with a nanny; and then with gypsies. WHO DOES THAT?! And then the way she treated her only living child - that is completely disgusting.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.