Sera's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Sep 14, 2011

I loved the language which is narrated by 5 year old Jack. For me, the book is somewhere between the Collector by John Fowles in the sense of the plot and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in the sense of the emotional tone of the book. I didn’t know anything about the book before I read it and I have no intention of spoiling the book by saying anything else except my opinion of similarity which I mentioned above. All I can say is the mother’s attitudes in that dark place and their relationship as mother and son even after the second part of the book seriously impressed me. I never thought her actions were irritating. She was trying to do her best in those horrid circumstances.

I mostly enjoyed the book although the kid’s language got annoying in some parts. The book is like a little sparkle in a cruel reality and worth reading.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

Kerem Mermutlu Great review Sera, i've been trying to figure out a good way to explain this book to people and what you say about the emotional tone being like Extremely loud and incredibly close is exactly right. I will definitely be reading more Donoghue in the future!

Sera Me too. Emma Donoghue is a writer that should be followed closely. I couldn't explain all my feelings about the book actually but glad you've liked it.