Paula's Reviews > American Pastoral

American Pastoral by Philip Roth

Sep 19, 11

Read from September 14 to 19, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Pastoral.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen How interesting. I avoid him, I don't know why. I am re-thinking that due to your 5 stars!

Paula Kathleen, I may be a little star-happy, just so you know. I'm not a fan of some of Roth's excesses, and it's not that they are entirely missing here, but i found the overall themes very compelling. An awful lot of it is about Newark, specifically the glove industry in Newark, and I found all of that fascinating. Being a New Jerseyite, maybe you would find that all of that interesting - or maybe you would have quibbles.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Paula wrote: "Kathleen, I may be a little star-happy, just so you know. I'm not a fan of some of Roth's excesses, and it's not that they are entirely missing here, but i found the overall themes very compelling...."

In the Paleolithic Era, I taught school in Newark --and remain a fan of a city always trying...I think I'll put it on the list. I won't hold it against you if I don't like it!

Paula I'll be curious what you think about it.