Tocotin's Reviews > Wideacre

Wideacre by Philippa Gregory

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, my-own-books, used-books
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is totally... people! There is incest in it! Also parricide, matricide, inbred babies, and general nastiness! And it's horribly boring.
Seems that a lot of readers were bothered by all the evil and sinfulness, but frankly, all things which should unsettle me were described so incompetently I could only snicker.
How can the main character be really evil and irresistible, if she considers herself evil and irresistible, and never lets you forget it, because she's the narrator? It's no fun being inside the mind of a person who does only two things: whines about the destruction she brings on everyone and everything around, or admires her own reflection, with or without a mirror (somehow she always knows all the minute changes of her face and precise shade of her eyes). By the way, she can get away with all the implausible things she does, because all the other characters are mortally dense. She knows words like "masochism" and "sexuality" in the 18th century, so she must be too clever for them, way ahead her times, I suppose.
Reading about a Mary Sue vs a legion of TEH STOOPID is not that enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wideacre.