Lindsey Duncan's Reviews > Before We Were Free

Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez

Sep 13, 2011

bookshelves: ya-historical-fiction
Read from September 13 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** "It's like my whole world is coming undone, but when I write, my pencil is a needle and thread, and I'm stitching the scraps back together." -Anita, Before We Were Free.

This is the story of a young girl, named Anita, growing up in the Domincan Republic during the rein of the dictator, Rafael Trujillo (El Jefe). While Anita experiences the normal trials of growing up, her father and uncle join in a movement to overthrow the current government and liberate the country. Along the way, we see Anita's innocence lost as her eyes are opened to the evil that exists in this world.

Anita's story reached in and gripped my heart. It opened my eyes to a story I was previously oblivious to, the story of the Domican Republic's rise to freedom in the 1960s. By reading this story, I was enlightened to what it was like for those who remained in the country to fight the tyrant, El Jefe, and how the families of those in the resistance were affected.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Free.

09/16/2014 marked as: currently-reading