Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Night Strangers

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dark-fiction, fiction, gothic
Read from September 13 to 18, 2011

Original review is posted here

I’m not usually a ghost-story type of girl, but when Chris Bohjalian puts a book out, I read it.

The Night Strangers is the story of a man who is not Captain Sully, of the infamous Hudson River Plane Landing. It’s the story of Chip, a man who attempted a water landing in a plane he was piloting and subsequently lost the bulk of the passengers and crew on board.

What is unique about this book is the tools Bohjalian uses to tell the story. Each character in Chip’s family has a voice, but Chip’s voice is in the 2nd person. Bohjalian makes you, the reader, his voice. He puts you in Chips shoes. The result? Mindblowingly messed-up.

Witchcraft, alchemy, ghosts, mental disorders, strained family relationships, loss, grief, hope, survival – it all exists within the pages of The Night Strangers. I was unable to put this one down and just gripped onto the sides of my Kindle, desperately reading to find out what happens next.

For fans of Bohjalian’s psychological thrillers, you won’t want to miss this one. Put it on your list – like me, you won’t regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.