Bill's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Oct 03, 11

Read from September 13 to October 03, 2011

Just like the circus tent itself, a book of great imagination and unique ideas appears out of nowhere with critical acclaim. If you are a Harry Potter fan craving for more, you will really enjoy this book.

While many might compare this book to Harry Potter given the involvement of witches, magic and worlds designed by people's minds this is not a knock-off. The Night Circus paints a new world in which the characters live in elaborately designed circus tents that make Cirque Du Soleil acts seem like cheap wirework with D-rate actors.

It is in the 1800's and a magician by the name of Prospero runs a fantastical circus filled with wonder and elaborate imagery. What the guests do not know is these are real magic acts designed just well enough to make people think it is not actually real. When Prospero is visited by his unnamed friend (or foe?) they agree to start a new game.

What is the game? How are the rules played out? How long will the game take? These are things we need to figure out ourselves. When Prospero's untimely death is announced, his daughter moves to a new circus where she weaves more magic. She is part of the game. The mysterious man finds a child to adopt and finds him to this new circus. The child, now grown up is also in the game.

This was a fantastic book that reminded me of dreams I had as a child where I had magical powers and lived in crazy worlds only a kid can dream up. There is little in this book that cannot be enjoyed by parents and children alike.

-Bill

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.